While many people, both men and women, think that no thigh gap is sexy, there are still many of us who have a strong desire to rid themselves of the lack of a gap between their upper thighs. What is it about a thigh gap that so many people do find desirable? Why can’t we accept the various body shapes of females and even recognize that some of the healthiest women in the world who compete in fitness competitions have no thigh gap whatsoever?
Many of the models and celebrities that we see sporting scantily clad bodies have a thigh gap, and that is one aspect leading to the look that many women desire these days. So what can you do to help get rid of unwanted fat on the upper thighs? Starving yourself and losing too much weight is not ideal, as most of us would still like to remain shapely and toned. Strength training exercises, alone, can also give you the opposite results of what you want. There is a fine line that must be tread upon and never crossed if you want to get a thigh gap. Before going into tips on how to get a thigh gap, remember that the size of the gap that many models have is, not only, unrealistic, but getting there can be unsafe. You should never risk your health to get an improbable look. But for those of you who insist upon getting that gap, here are some ideal workout moves and tips for getting the thigh gap that you desire:
- Squats – This dreaded exercise is one of the best ways to tone, shape, and burn fat from your thighs. This can be a difficult move for many, so make sure that you take time to do your research and learn proper form. There are even various ways to do squats to target certain areas of the legs. Squats are a great move if you are wanting to get rid of fat that resides on your inner thighs. Once you feel comfortable with squatting, add more and more weight to your workout. Using heavier weights with less reps has shown in research to be a quicker and more efficient way to burn fat rather than using smaller weights with more reps.
- Leg lifts – This is done by lying on your side and simply lifting the leg that is on the upper side of your body. This helps to develop muscle on the outer thigh, which will strengthen that area and help to decrease the size of your inner thigh. Once you have this move down pat and it becomes easier for you, add leg weights while doing it.
- Butt lifts – This is also known as a bridge raise. While laying on your back with your knees bent, simply raise your pelvis towards the ceiling as you squeeze your buttock muscles and thighs. Many people choose to hold an object such as a small ball or even a rolled up towel in between their knees when doing this move to help target the thighs. If you do this, make sure that you are squeezing your thighs together when you lift so that you are targeting the muscle as well as the fat on the inner thigh.
- Inner leg lift – Just like with the traditional leg lift, lay on your side, but have your top leg bent with your knee towards the ceiling. This time, lift your bottom leg up as high as you can. You will really feel the burn on your inner thigh with this move. You will help to tone that muscle and melt away the fat that is keeping you from having the thigh gap you desire.
- Lunges – Just like with the squat, this move has many variations that can target various areas of the thighs and buttocks. Many people do side or lateral lunges to target, both, the inner and outer thigh. Simply stand with legs shoulder width apart, then step out to the side lunging as far as you can. As with squats and other workout moves, make sure you are using proper form and will not do damage to your body. Ideally, you may want to go to a gym and work with a professional personal trainer at the start or even throughout your journey.
- Try fat burning supplements – One such dietary supplement is Conjugated Linoleic Acid or CLA. This fatty acid has shown in research to help women burn fat from the body without even modifying diet and/or exercise. When using this supplement combined with both dietary changes as well as working out, your results could be boundless. CLA, not only, aid in burning fat from the body, but it also helps to keep this fat from returning. Another benefit is that it helps to build lean muscle tone, which looks great on anyone.
- Don’t forget to eat a well-balanced diet along with the exercise you are doing. You can work out all you want, but if you are consuming far more than 2,000 calories per day and eating unhealthy, fatty, sugary foods at that, then you could be totally wasting your time in the gym or working out at home. You should consume at least 1,200 calories per day but not more than 2,000. Also, the foods you are eating should be foods that aid the body in weight loss.
Most importantly, do not stress about getting a thigh gap. Due to genetics, there are many women who will simply never have a gap in their inner thigh area. This does not mean that you can not shape and sculpt this area of the body, though, while keeping your overall health in optimal condition by eating a healthy and well-balanced diet and engaging in regular physical activity. Talk with your doctor about any dietary and exercise routine changes you want to make, as well as any dietary supplements that you are interested in adding to your daily routine. There is nothing that is more important than your health, and sometimes striving to achieve unattainable results can be more detrimental to our health than beneficial. Also, stressing about burning fat can actually lead to more fat, as stress causes an overabundance of cortisol in the body that can lead to more visceral fat that lies in the midsection as well as the hips and thighs of women. Best of luck to you! Do not lose hope, and remember that healthy is sexier than skinny!