Burning fat in the midsection can be a very trying process for many people. Even when we are eating a healthy and well balanced diet and exercising, sometimes the fat we have gained around the abdomen seems to remain while other body fat sheds with ease. Not only is this fat around the belly undesirable to ourselves and others, it can have other detrimental effects on our overall health.
Excess fat in the midsection, known as visceral fat, not only looks bad, but creates more stress causing hormones that can increase the risk of diabetes as well as heart disease. So what can we do to burn this fat in the midsection and keep it off?
There are many ways to focus on the abdomen and help to lose that stubborn weight that is keeping us from our ideal body type. Here are some things you should absolutely be doing to burn belly fat and keep your overall health in optimal condition:
- Aerobic Exercise – Many of us have heard that the best (and possibly only) way to melt away belly fat is to get your heart rate up during exercise. While aerobic exercise can seem intimidating and daunting, it doesn’t have to be. There are so many ways to get an aerobic workout while still having fun and keeping the motivation to keep it going. Dancing is one method that many women and men are moving toward. Not only is dancing fun, but it definitely keeps your heart going and we can later show off those skills to our friends and loved ones, keeping motivation up. Running is also a lot more fun than many people may think. Scour local parks and areas that your run will be interesting. Find a running partner whom you enjoy who is also motivated to burn that stubborn belly fat. Take your dog for daily runs, which will benefit them as well as you. Some other things you can do include cycling, jump roping, swimming, hiking, and many other enjoyable activities.
- Consume more protein – Surprisingly, consuming more protein will not cause weight gain in the midsection as long as you are staying active. Increasing your protein intake will help to build muscle, which, in turn, can help to burn more fat. Protein also helps the body with insulin resistance. Insulin can lead to an undesirable response in the fat cells of the body, particularly in the midsection, so keeping this in check will surely help you get that slim and trim belly.
- Increase the amount of vinegar you consume – Research has shown that individuals who take in about two tablespoons of vinegar a day were able to lose a significant amount of body fat, especially visceral fat that builds up around the midsection. Get this vinegar intake through delicious vinaigrette dressings on salads and veggies, which are also ideal foods for keeping that fat away from our tummies.
- Do yoga – Not only does yoga involve deep stretches that keep our muscles lean and long, it also helps to reduce stress. Reducing stress helps to keep cortisol levels low in the body. And as most of us have heard, high levels of cortisol in the body can make it near impossible to shed weight around the midsection. This is also a great activity to do before an aerobic workout to warm up or after one to cool down. There are many yoga classes in almost every city and town where you can meet others who have the same goals as you to help keep you motivated. If you do not have a local yoga class, you can purchase videos or online yoga courses to help you learn this art form that keeps the body, mind, and soul healthier than many of us could even imagine.
- Get a proper amount of sleep – A study from Wake Forest University showed evidence that not getting enough sleep caused a significant increase in visceral fat. So, if you are wanting to melt away the fat from your midsection, you absolutely must get a decent amount of sleep nightly. Lack of sleep can also increase stress, which as mentioned above, can put a damper on shedding those pounds.
- Get your fiber – Studies have shown a reduction in visceral fat around the abdomen with increased fiber intake. This also helps to keep your overall digestive health in optimal condition, which can help your metabolism and aid in losing weight.
One other thing that we all can do to help shed stubborn fat from the belly is to take certain dietary supplements that will aid in fat burning. One such supplement is Conjugated Linoleic Acid or CLA. This fatty acid that is found in many grass fed proteins can help the body to burn fat without even making any changes to your diet or amount of exercise. Not only do the chemicals in CLA help to melt away fat, but they also help to keep this fat off once it is lost. Amazingly, it also aids the body in building and keeping lean muscle tone, which can help give us those toned abs with that six pack that we all desire. As with any dietary supplement, you should speak with your physician before taking this to aid in your weight loss goals. CLA is safe for most all people and even has other health benefits, but it is always a wise idea to inform and communicate with your doctor about this kind of lifestyle change. In research studies, women who used CLA as a dietary supplement lost weight without even making other lifestyle changes like adjusting their diet and/or the amount of physical activity in which they engaged. Just imagine the results you could achieve if you combined this supplement with other modifications to your daily eating habits and exercise routine. Most importantly, do not lose hope! We have all surely seen the dramatic weight loss results of friends, loved ones, or even celebrities. They can do it, and you can do it, too!