We have all heard over and over that the best exercise for burning fat is aerobic exercise. Well, guess what? It’s true! Although this can seem daunting and overwhelming, there are many ways to get aerobic exercise and many of them can be fun. Here are some of the best aerobic workouts (as well as a few others) for melting away excess body fat:
- Running – Running and/or jogging is one of the best fat burning exercises out there. And it doesn’t have to be boring. Get a partner or get in a gym that has people you like there. Find parks or areas of your city or town that have sights and sounds that are enjoyable. Take your dog out for a daily run, which will benefit your pooch, as well. Research has shown that the body continues to burn fat even after and individual has stopped running, so this really is one of the best ways that you can finally shed those excess pounds.
- Weight lifting – Surprisingly, weight lifting can be an amazing workout for burning fat. The key is to keep it slow and steady. Not only will you help to get amazing muscle tone as well as strength, but strength training has shown to increase metabolism, which will, in turn, help your body to shed that extra unwanted fat. Another great way to utilize weights is to wear weights during your aerobic workouts. You can wear weighted vests, carry small dumbbells, or wear ankle weights. Kettle bells are also ideal for sculpting when doing lower body workouts, commonly known as the dreaded “leg day.” It also helps to lift heavier weights and do fewer reps.
- Boxing and kickboxing – These two methods of working out keep your whole body moving and can be a fun alternative to other cardio exercises. This also comes in handy for self defense if ever needed.
- Walking – Walking can be a great alternative for individuals who are unable to run or jog. And power walking is even better than taking a leisurely stroll, but if you can’t power walk, then at least get out for a nice, long walk. This will get your body moving and increase your heart rate while also helping to relieve stress that can contribute to keeping fat around.
- Cycling – This can be one of the best aerobic workouts you can do, and with better technology on bikes (even indoor cycling) we are able to increase the resistance of the pedals as we increase our strength as agility.
- High Intensity Interval Training – This involves various moves you can even do in and around the comfort of your own home while switching up which areas of the body you are working out. Some exercises included in this type of aerobic workout are squats, lunges, sprints, push ups, jumping jacks, and many other moves that you only need your body and the earth to do.
Although aerobic exercise is the best method for fat burning, there are some other hints and tricks we can utilize to get the most out of these aerobic workouts. Here are some tips for burning the most fat possible while putting in the hard work that is aerobic exercise:
- Go hard at the start of your workout – Research has shown that if you start your workout with more intensity in the first half than in the second half, you can burn up to 23 percent more fat than doing this the other way around. Get in a stretch and a quick warm up and then really get going. This can make it easier, too, since you are not dreading a more intense and excruciating second half. You will get the hardest part out of the way and then work your way down from there, helping to keep motivation levels up.
- Keep up that heart rate – Studies have suggested that staying at 80% of your maximum heart rate for at least 40 minutes can help you to increase your metabolic rate for a whopping 19 hours after you have completed your workout. Keeping your metabolism up will help your body to process the food you are eating and help it to stay burning energy rather than keeping that energy where it could be stored as unwanted fat.
- Switch it up – Research has shown that alternating levels of intensity throughout your workout is more beneficial to fat burning than staying steady throughout an aerobic workout.
- Get pumped with music – Scientist in the UK have suggested that those who listen to music with a faster tempo during workouts burn more calories and shed more body fat than those who listen to slower paced music. So pump up the volume and stick with music that has faster rhythm.
- Allow yourself a break if needed – Researchers have shown that as little as 80 minutes of aerobic exercise weekly can help to shed excess fat from around the midsection. So if you have a very busy schedule any given week or if you are constantly busy, don’t let this make you feel hopeless. If you can find even 40 minutes twice a week or as little as 20 minutes four times per week, then you can start shedding that fat.
- Do strength training prior to cardio – Incorporating strength training just before your aerobic workout can help to burn more fat than either one of these alone or doing these two the other way around. This will also help to achieve more gains in muscle mass as well as strength.
- Visualize the results you want – Research has shown that those who envision strengthening specific muscles or muscle groups actually get better results when working out these muscles, so daydream about your desired results, both, while working out and even when not exercising.
- Work out in the morning – As mentioned above, your body can continue to burn fat long after your workout, so if you get moving in the morning, you will be burning even more fat as you continue to be active throughout the remainder of the day.